Pages

Monday, December 22, 2008

Nothing says "Christmas Cheer" like chasing down a shoplifter

First of all, Merry Christmas!

Second of all, I have a funny story, which ends with me getting a free bike! So, Nick works at a pharmacy, and shoplifting is rampant there any time of the year--baby formula and cosmetics are the usual items of choice. However, as it gets closer to Christmas, people either get more desperate or dumber (you decide), and go for things that are harder to conceal under a jacket. Tonight, the store manager happened to notice an awful lot of rustling on the "haircare" aisle, and walked over to see what was going on.

Apparently, the (rather large) man in the aisle was making so much noise because he was stuffing a boxed Conair trimmer up his shirt. The manager picked up the phone to call the police, and the shoplifter started running. He managed to make it outside the store, where he jumped on his bike and sped off into the night. A vigilante customer ran to his truck and began chasing the thief. (Yes, I live in the South, where people do things like that.)

After a few minutes, the man driving the truck caught up to the shoplifter. The driver pulled a "COPS" move and killed his headlights, then swung his truck around in front of the shoplifter, whereupon said shoplifter slammed into the truck and tumbled over the hood. After he regained his balance, the shoplifter ran off into the night, leaving his bike behind. The customer, apparently satisfied with his citizen's arrest-of sorts, brought the bike back to the pharmacy and wheeled it inside.

When they arrived on the scene, the police told the store manager they didn't want the bike, because they had enough stolen bikes at the station, and not enough room for another. The store manager offered me the bike, and of course I'm not going to refuse a free bike, not even a stolen one. Lucky for me, the bike is in pretty good condition, and is only a little rusted in some places. It just so happened to be a girl's bike, and a lovely shade of purple, to boot! After a lot of maneuvering, and only a little cussing, I got the bike loaded into my car and home safely! FYI, I haven't been on a bicycle since I broke my arm by falling off of one in the fifth grade. This should be interesting.

I'm hoping to get a lot of crafting done in the next few days. I plan to take on these storage boxes designed by JCaroline Creative, some baby accessories for my cousin who is expecting her first child, and I hope to finish some scarves that I started knitting, oh, about a year ago!

Merry Christmas, Happy Hannukah, have a safe and wonderful holiday season!

Jess

No comments: